A New life
The people come to see the play
and all the players are on the stage.
The final act is about to start
and you and I must play our part.
Sadness dances on our lips
a gentle kiss upon your cheek
and then with nothing left to say
we both turn and walk away.
I watch you board the train
travelling to a place far away.
A last wave from behind the doors
and now I must learn to live with your loss.
In the dead of night I'll fly
to another place another time.
In this world I'll try to find
the fairy tale of your new life.
I see your holy child sleeps upstairs
all curls and golden hair.
Sleep sweet child I'll never know, sleep
to the lullaby your mother sings.
Chris Zachariou's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A New life by Chris Zachariou )
- Flight of Chance, michael walkerjohn
- A Patch of Earth under a Thatch of Sky , John Tansey
- Genuine The Gift, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I Asked You, Vera Sidhwa
- Shifting Rules, Noah Body
- Let me name one, gajanan mishra
- Moy Serena Venera, YA tebya lyublyu, yes.., Hebert Logerie
- My heart, James Berth
- Where will she be, hasmukh amathalal
- Drinking God's Beauty, Vera Sidhwa
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Let Me Die A Youngman's Death, Roger McGough
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Woman Work, Maya Angelou
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)