Joseph T. Renaldi
A Penny Candy Store
Walking by an old abandoned building
That once housed a penny candy store,
I envisioned all the wide-eyed children
As they gazed at the display of candy galore.
I was saddened by the closure,
And it took me back to the days of yore
When I, too, was spending my pennies
At the neighborhood's penny candy store.
As a youngster, I stared in disbelief
At all the candy unsurpassed
And often rubbed my fingers unconsciously on
The counter top of highly polished glass.
At the proprietor's helpful suggestion
I would only remain silent and gape.
The variety of candy caused me to be uncertain
As to what penny candy I would take.
What a thrill to have a penny in my hand?
It is a feeling that I still cherish today.
I was able to go to the penny candy store
To select and buy candy my own way.
Though I may still be indecisive at times
While viewing the niceties by the score,
The thoughts of time tried candy still remain
From the old, neighborhood candy store.
Joseph T. Renaldi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Penny Candy Store by Joseph T. Renaldi )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1498 - 1546)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Alone And Drinking Under The Moon, Li Po
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Fresh Threats, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Using everything, gajanan mishra
- For You To Keep Deep, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I am Hades Sweet Persephone, Tiger Auntunette
- Wisdom And Knowledge, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Child Slaughter, douglas scotney
- A slave to situation,, Aftab Alam
- Arctic Hero?, Denis Martindale
- The fate, gajanan mishra
- Five Cherry Blossoms To Despair., Martin Engstrom