A Psalm Of Patience
O kid! with face of healthy tan,
With lunch-bag, books and slate;
You needn't long to be a man,
Self-confident and great;
For ever since the world began
Each boy must spring to Nature's plan,
Must worry through as best he can —
Make up your mind to Wait.
O young galoot! you find it rough —
This iron hand of Fate!
Your confidence is mostly bluff,
And doubts preponderate —
Are you the genuine all-wool stuff?
Are you a daisy or a muff? —
Patience! you'll find out soon enough,
If you can only Wait.
O baffled bloke! with no resource!
Whose knowledge comes too late;
Whose prospects change from bad to worse,
Till Hope gives place to Hate!
Sick of existence, and perforce
Impatient for the long divorce —
You'll get your call in proper course,
Take my advice, and Wait.
O geezer! drawing near the test
That none may obviate;
Don't waste your time in fruitless quest
Re man's post-mortem state.
That doubt will soon be set at rest —
You'll be extinguish'd, grill'd, or blest,
Or spook the world from east to west.
Meanwhile, you have to Wait.
Joseph Furphy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Psalm Of Patience by Joseph Furphy )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- See if I care, Mark Heathcote
- Wishes Granted, Bill Cantrell
- Killer instinct mind, Mark Heathcote
- Book Condition: (Fairest of the) Fair, mary douglas
- It's The Fairy Queen Out Of Sight In Pal.., mary douglas
- *VII*- To Love, Leslie Guylee Cron
- Every Man Remembered!, Denis Martindale
- White Frosted Cake Viewed At Ages 6 and 7, mary douglas
- Imprimatura, mary douglas
- What Catfish Is For - Meditation In Caro.., Warren Falcon