A Psalm Of Patience
O kid! with face of healthy tan,
With lunch-bag, books and slate;
You needn't long to be a man,
Self-confident and great;
For ever since the world began
Each boy must spring to Nature's plan,
Must worry through as best he can —
Make up your mind to Wait.
O young galoot! you find it rough —
This iron hand of Fate!
Your confidence is mostly bluff,
And doubts preponderate —
Are you the genuine all-wool stuff?
Are you a daisy or a muff? —
Patience! you'll find out soon enough,
If you can only Wait.
O baffled bloke! with no resource!
Whose knowledge comes too late;
Whose prospects change from bad to worse,
Till Hope gives place to Hate!
Sick of existence, and perforce
Impatient for the long divorce —
You'll get your call in proper course,
Take my advice, and Wait.
O geezer! drawing near the test
That none may obviate;
Don't waste your time in fruitless quest
Re man's post-mortem state.
That doubt will soon be set at rest —
You'll be extinguish'd, grill'd, or blest,
Or spook the world from east to west.
Meanwhile, you have to Wait.
Joseph Furphy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Psalm Of Patience by Joseph Furphy )
- If Thou Of Fortune Be Bereft, John Greenleaf Whittier
- An Open Book, Phil Soar
- Winter blue, Phil Soar
- Mom You Please Hear, Pintu Mahakul
- Mind and Nature, Aftab Alam
- Faint Music, Robert Hass
- Alexander Pushkin I loved you, valentin savin
- O Talibans, They Are The Buddhas, You Fi.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Cobras Hissing And Basketed, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Glorified Clay, Suresh Dogra
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)