Marcus Mosiah Garvey
A Recitative Song! (For Julius Winston Garvey)
1. I am a little soldier, fighting hard for life,
I came upon the scene of cruel human strife,
My father taught me to be always good and true,
And in the battle ever try to be a blue.
2. I've met so many hard and awful blows, you know,
But friends, I heard that 'we shall reap just what we sow,'
So I shall e'er a Negro man of courage be,
And work with other noble men who'll toil with me.
3. 1 promise to engage in what is good and right,
And for the cause of race to make a manly fight;
The world shall be my cautious battle stage,
For I shall follow wisely footprints of old age.
4. The endless fight of men for right against the wrong,
Shall steel my youthful courage on and make me strong;
But I shall need God's help all seasons of the year,
To safely fight for you with heart that's void of fear.
5. The Negro's cause is now beset with many darts,
But we can win if we have true and loyal hearts;
Young though I be, I'll stand and march with you,
If you will serve and hold the line, like men-true blue.
Marcus Mosiah Garvey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Recitative Song! (For Julius Winston Garvey) by Marcus Mosiah Garvey )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(20 September 1902 – 7 March 1971)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Lover's Complaint, William Shakespeare
- The ship of the desert, gajanan mishra
- Bright Star, John Keats
Poem of the Day
- God, Save Me From Indian English Poets (.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Hollow Reed, Midnights Voice
- गोजां बोथोर - सोरबा नागिरदोँ गुदुं गुदुं, Ronjoy Brahma
- Rainfall, hafiz qasim
- Reading Elizabeth Bishop's Poem 'Insomnia', Merton Lee
- A language, a race, gajanan mishra
- Reality And Unimagination..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Smile, hafiz qasim
- Soldiers' Living Tomb, Ima Ryma
- Winter In The Wind, Tony Adah