James Whitcomb Riley
A Sudden Shower
Barefooted boys scud up the street
Or skurry under sheltering sheds;
And schoolgirl faces, pale and sweet,
Gleam from the shawls about their heads.
Doors bang; and mother-voices call
From alien homes; and rusty gates
Are slammed; and high above it all,
The thunder grim reverberates.
And then, abrupt,--the rain! the rain!--
The earth lies gasping; and the eyes
Behind the streaming window-pane
Smile at the trouble of the skies.
The highway smokes; sharp echoes ring;
The cattle bawl and cowbells clank;
And into town comes galloping
The farmer's horse, with streaming flank.
The swallow dips beneath the eaves,
And flirts his plumes and folds his wings;
And under the catawba leaves
The caterpillar curls and clings.
The bumble-bee is pelted down
The wet stem of the hollyhock;
And sullenly, in spattered brown,
The cricket leaps the garden walk.
Within, the baby claps his hands
And crows with rapture strange and vague;
Without, beneath the rosebush stands
A dripping rooster on one leg.
James Whitcomb Riley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Sudden Shower by James Whitcomb Riley )
- A Sonnet For Stanley Tookie Williams, Evie Shockley
- notes to my nieces (or, essays in fortun.., Evie Shockley
- Of The Transfiguration Of Our Lord, John Beaumont
- Of The Epiphany, John Beaumont
- statistical haiku (or, how do they disco.., Evie Shockley
- En germe, noir, Marcel Aouizerate
- The pilot, Marcel Aouizerate
- The library, Marcel Aouizerate
- a background in music, Evie Shockley
- Lost in Levallois, Marcel Aouizerate
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- From 'The Testament of Beauty', Robert Seymour Bridges
- A Night Thought, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Moments Indulgence, Rabindranath Tagore
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)