Robert William Service
They dumped it on the lonely road,
Then like a streak they sped;
And as along the way I strode
I thought that it was dead:
And then I saw that yelping pup
Rise, race to catch them up.
You know how silly wee dogs are.
It thought they were in fun.
Trying to overtake their car
I saw it run and run:
But as they faster, faster went,
It stumbled, sore and spent.
I found it prone upon the way;
Of life was little token.
As limply in the dust it lay
I thought its heart was broken:
Then one dim eye it opened and
It sought to like my hand.
Of course I took it gently up
And brought it to my wife
Who loves all dogs, and now that pup
Shares in our happy life:
Yet how I curse the bastards who
Its good luck never knew!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Abandoned Dog by Robert William Service )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(18 September 1906 - 18 September 1995)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Believe In Yourself, Ronell Warren Alman
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Merry Christmas My Love, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- "க்ரிஸ்து" என்ற ஒரு ஜோதி!, Subbaraman N V
- PIOUS WELCOME TO TWENTY FIFTEEN*, Subbaraman N V
- Pschology 101 (I), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- A Dancer's Life, Donald Justice
- What Christmas for Them..........?, Jayatissa Liyanage
- I Know You Are There, Orlando Belo
- Dior-Ets, The Body Mass of Death..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Glimpsing Silverstein's Truth, Merton Lee
- A Christmas Wish of A Lifetime..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Unseen, Self-Empathizing Mirrors, Merton Lee