John Thorkild Ellison
Advice to the Naive Lover
What did you really expect to achieve
Going round wearing your heart on your sleeve?
It was such a mistake, one could almost believe
That now that it's over you've got a good right to grieve!
You've had some bad luck, yes, I know it's a shame,
But at the end of the day you've got yourself to blame,
First learn the rules before playing the game
Or all your adventures will end up the same.
You were far too obvious, so awkward and shy,
When you should have been nonchalant and knowing and sly.
Please spare me the embarrassment of starting to cry,
You've outstayed your welcome, now it's time for GOODBYE.
If you want to succeed then take my advice
And refrain from being so wonderfully nice,
You've been much too generous and now you're paying the price,
Just expect some surprises when Fate throws the dice!
John Thorkild Ellison's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Advice to the Naive Lover by John Thorkild Ellison )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Unforseen Reality, Seema Chowdhury
- The Stone Carver, John F. McCullagh
- Everglades, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Do Not Let Go Of God's Hands, Seema Chowdhury
- Be Ready to Move Forward, Seema Chowdhury
- My Two Friends, Naveed Akram
- *Sigh*, Michael McParland
- Mouna Vrata - The Vow of Silence., Hardik Vaidya
- Handle, Aparna Chatterjee
- Dorothy Slept In The Emerald Eye Of Cycl.., mary douglas