John Thorkild Ellison
Advice to the Naive Lover
What did you really expect to achieve
Going round wearing your heart on your sleeve?
It was such a mistake, one could almost believe
That now that it's over you've got a good right to grieve!
You've had some bad luck, yes, I know it's a shame,
But at the end of the day you've got yourself to blame,
First learn the rules before playing the game
Or all your adventures will end up the same.
You were far too obvious, so awkward and shy,
When you should have been nonchalant and knowing and sly.
Please spare me the embarrassment of starting to cry,
You've outstayed your welcome, now it's time for GOODBYE.
If you want to succeed then take my advice
And refrain from being so wonderfully nice,
You've been much too generous and now you're paying the price,
Just expect some surprises when Fate throws the dice!
John Thorkild Ellison's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Advice to the Naive Lover by John Thorkild Ellison )
- Incense On Fire, sallam yassin
- The Canine, Justin Reamer
- Remaining In The Shadows, brandy taffner
- Pride and Devotion, R B Seals
- tO Watch? 'The Maze Runner' 2014 online .., canadi arese
- Piece of peace, george albot
- THE POEM FROM HINTERLAND, SirLalianMwittah Nyalali
- An Elixir, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sirene, Tanja Bulovic
- Dream Life, Nassy Fesharaki
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- FRee! ! Barcelona vs Ajax Live. Streamin.., miami dupli
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Sonnet I, Sir John Suckling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)