Niki Nicholas Nkuna
Beautiful continent by nature
Beautiful people by nature
Africans ebony skinned by nature
Now darkened by the extremity of nature
Africa rich in precious minerals by nature
Precious minerals got plundered
By the extremities of colonisation and decolonisation
Poor Africa now forsaken by its own people
Diaspora homecoming a dream deferred!
Unscathed Africa still stands proud to welcome the second rape
Asian assailants brought with them artificial cake
Paper cake not to be tasted in the presence of barter
African generosity gratified by the restoration of long lost pristine
Mother Africa’s bloom perturbed in the second take
This time by the selling of her soul to a prosperity pipedream
African diaspora forever hooked by the glory of artificiality in Europe’s magic wand
Dreamed of Africa stoicism’s erstwhile colonial hurt
Forever in the dream believe of the so-called Dark Africa
Africa forever in a pendulum state of cry and jubilation
Cry and jubilation, colonised and decolonised
Vice versa in the whirlwind of build and destruction
How long will Africa stand dislocated?
How long will Africa fail to see its own reflection in the mirror of reality?
How long will Africans stop begging standing on the rock of gold?
How long will Africans stop looking over the seas in want of the wonders of artificiality?
How long will the diaspora look over the seas in dislike of the African nature’s wonder?
How long will the diaspora remain satiated with the crumbs of pseud-gold from the masters’ table?
How long, ………….. How long Africa!
N Nkuna,21 August 2012
Niki Nicholas Nkuna's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Africa! by Niki Nicholas Nkuna )
- New beginnings, Mary Bone
- If You Took The Time To Care, Ronell Warren Alman
- Let's live in Tokyo, Mark Heathcote
- Second class soul, Liss March
- Yes, I am on this wheel, gajanan mishra
- TWO LOVERS ON A PORCH IN THE MIDWEST, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- See and feel, gajanan mishra
- Am i here by virtue of the shadows, cristobal Benjumea
- SOME THOUGHTS ABOUT THE SUN, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- I am always with you, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)