Dr John Celes
All Souls’ Day
The many ones I knew are hardly seen;
My friends, relatives are in scarce numbers;
Their memories are truly evergreen;
But death has put those souls in deep slumbers!
Most near and dear and loved ones are all gone;
This world looks empty but their graves abound;
They couldn’t be saints but sinned even alone;
Their cemeteries with time are hardly found!
Yet, most had left with venial sins galore;
In Purgatory, God cleanses souls by grace;
They need our prayers to be freed much more;
Like gold refined, souls enter Heaven’s haze!
But fiery love of God can change their roles;
The ones in mortal sins are nearer hell;
God’s mystic mercy could redeem such souls;
The living souls on earth can make them well!
All Souls’ Day comes once in a year for all;
Let’s empty Purgatory by praying hard;
Let’s fast to hasten Almighty God’s call;
Recite the rosary to stay on guard!
God, send your angels soon to fetch all souls;
Their sufferings are much more than on earth;
Let light perpetual shine upon dead souls;
Take them to Your Abode and grant them mirth!
Show mercy Lord, on every soul, we pray!
Let light divine annul the hellish spray;
Forgive them, Jesus Christ, we beg to say;
Ignore their trespasses on Judgment Day!
Lovingly dedicated to all souls on ‘All Souls’ Day! ’
Dr John Celes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (All Souls’ Day by Dr John Celes )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Would you be my Muse?, maryline vautravers
- You don't deserve a title, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Don't wait, Marina Olivera Sangers
- I am an eagle, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Exactly what I am looking for, Diamond The Ninja
- You're the one with issues, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Words, Marina Olivera Sangers
- Am I Asking Too Much, GJG Elton
- Perfection, Marina Olivera Sangers
- GroundSound, Marina Olivera Sangers