Dr John Celes
All Souls’ Day
The many ones I knew are hardly seen;
My friends, relatives are in scarce numbers;
Their memories are truly evergreen;
But death has put those souls in deep slumbers!
Most near and dear and loved ones are all gone;
This world looks empty but their graves abound;
They couldn’t be saints but sinned even alone;
Their cemeteries with time are hardly found!
Yet, most had left with venial sins galore;
In Purgatory, God cleanses souls by grace;
They need our prayers to be freed much more;
Like gold refined, souls enter Heaven’s haze!
But fiery love of God can change their roles;
The ones in mortal sins are nearer hell;
God’s mystic mercy could redeem such souls;
The living souls on earth can make them well!
All Souls’ Day comes once in a year for all;
Let’s empty Purgatory by praying hard;
Let’s fast to hasten Almighty God’s call;
Recite the rosary to stay on guard!
God, send your angels soon to fetch all souls;
Their sufferings are much more than on earth;
Let light perpetual shine upon dead souls;
Take them to Your Abode and grant them mirth!
Show mercy Lord, on every soul, we pray!
Let light divine annul the hellish spray;
Forgive them, Jesus Christ, we beg to say;
Ignore their trespasses on Judgment Day!
Lovingly dedicated to all souls on ‘All Souls’ Day! ’
Dr John Celes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (All Souls’ Day by Dr John Celes )
- Humpty-Dumpty, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Of Life Is Change, Is It Poetry
- Chicken Burger, Angela Wybrow
- Take me home, Barbara Dixion
- How...?, Ginny Gibbs
- gustakhi karke ched gyin uski aankhein, Yashvardhan Goel
- mukda, Yashvardhan Goel
- No More Yelling, Michael McParland
- The Wilderness We Abandon, Robert Rorabeck
- Best Lesson, sallam yassin
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)