Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen
An Attempt at Magic
An Attempt at Magic
"I come from Aad and Thamuud .
I can give you the secret of lust."
The fourth said :
"I come from China .
I can make the dream a portal to certainty."
Hurry up,hurry up .
Deprivation has buried me
Like an earthquake buried an army
Of one thousand knights .
On the next day
I sat dressed in gold clothes.
Under my foot was a little cloud,
And a woman sweeter than honey
With fingers that could make a dream
Any dream - a portal to certainty.
But when the sun
Got to the middle of the sky,
The threads of gold melted
So my clothes looked shabby.
And the little cloud melted
So my foot looked ugly.
And the honey woman melted
So my lips tasted as bitter as poison.
The palm of the dream melted
And changed into skeleton's fingers
So I cried :
My tears, my brothers,
And my friends,
Where are you ?
Where are your secrets and signals(?
The four magicians hushed.
But the fourth one pitied my heart,
Broken like a blind man's mirror, and said:
"Do you want stability rather than instability'?
(Yes) I said.
"There would be no way to reach this state,
Unless you touch something of our souls".
The three magicians nodded.
Then, the first one rose stark naked
And said "Tormented man!
We would give you our letters.
Deprived man!We would teach you our dots,
But we would be afraid
If you learned them,
You would mock at gold
And gold clothes,
You would mock at the countries,
At the breasts and legs,
At the dreams.
Then, you would become like us
And naked forever."
Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Attempt at Magic by Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen )
- Wear a Cons Smile, Kevin Patrick
- Being aware, hasmukh amathalal
- Needed, Michael McParland
- Glory dies with memory., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Sources and termination, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Blood Red Candle, Arrianna Prentiss
- Hugh in a Nutshell, Arrianna Prentiss
- Painting Tomorrow, Cathy Hodgson
- Silence of the Snow, Arrianna Prentiss
- Don't ever in public, Dr PJ Raj Kamal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)