Anger leads to loss of friends!
“Be not angry that you can’t make others
as you wish them to be, since you can’t
make yourself as you wish to be”
said Thomas a Kempis!
Here is a story! Murugan, the only son to his father,
He used to get angry unreasonably for silly matter(s)
With friends who deserted him gradually,
He didn't respect his parents too!
Since his friends didn't come to him closely,
He showed his anger towards his parents severely,
He broke many household things arrogantly,
His parents suffered mentally and monetarily!
His father called him one day and said,
Do you know how much we lose money and peace?
Since you quarreled, from the school you are removed,
Your friends are also gradually reduced!
Why do you get angry so often?
He replied, “Others must listen as I wish,
Including my mother and you should listen,
If you all listen, I stop getting angry!
The father smiled with disgust and said,
Ok! Let us have an agreement with one condition;
Whenever you get angry, take one nail
From this box and nail it on that tree!
He accepted and started nailing one by one,
He approached the tree next day and counted the nails,
There were ten nails on that day, feeling sad!
He continued on the following days!
But, the nails gradually reduced day by day,
He realized that he can reduce his anger,
His father called him on seventh day,
Asked him to remove the nails on that day!
While he removed, he found the tree with lot of holes,
There dribbled juicy milk – gutta percha from the holes,
The father said now pleasingly, “Look my son!
See the injury the tree sustained in many places!
This is how your angry words had injured everybody,
How much they should have had upset all the day,
Murugan realized his mistake and regretted,
with tears from both his eyes, he said,
He will behave pleasingly leaving his anger,
He does not require nails and hammer hereafter,
He started going to school with apology letter,
He rejoiced with his friends and parents for ever!
Dr.V.K. Kanniappan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Anger leads to loss of friends! by Dr.V.K. Kanniappan )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1644 - 1694)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Sir Walter Scott
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- surrealist day, lee fones
- Gnarled Syllogism, Paul Hartal
- God Bless You, Michael P. McParland
- Further, Michael P. McParland
- Fulfillment, Michael P. McParland
- Frustration, Michael P. McParland
- Psycho Babble Scribble Squabble And Scra.., Blu 1 Blu 1 (Rio de Janeiro)
- Free, Michael P. McParland
- Forgotten, Michael P. McParland
- Forgive Me?, Michael P. McParland