The dinosaurs of early Cretaceous
flashed color, pattern, sheen....yet
conifers, cycads and ferns layered
green on green on green....until
some nonconforming cone
with aspects shrunk or overblown,
‘bloomed' as something hitherto unknown,
an audacious rudimentary flower.
But this little mutant
was a portent of power.
Newfangled capacious leaves
packed more water-pumping veins.
Trees fed scented fruits and flowers
from sweet self-composting potpourris.
Ancestral figs, magnolias, planes,
coevolving birds, tiny mammals, bees,
all entangled in mutual gain.
Think the dinosaurs rapacious?
the flowering plants rampaged hellacious.
By late Cretaceous, Earth was awash
with ostentatious color.
And today, in New Caledonia,
fragment of old Gondwana,
cloud forests hide a pioneer shrub,
Minute pale ceraceous flowers,
tepals in place of petals and sepals,
primordial and tenacious.
Outcast from a forging split,
clue to Darwin's vast mystery.
A glimpse of one vivacious spring,
unsurpassed Cretaceous Spring.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
angiosperms is an "abominable mystery".
-Charles Darwin in a letter to J.D. Hooker
22 July 1879.
Comments about this poem (Angiosperms by Diane Hine )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(October 27, 1932 – February 11, 1963)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Haiku A Butterfly By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- MERCY OUR COVALENCY REMAINS WITH BUOYANCY, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Haiku A Wizened Rose By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- A Cleaner World, Luis Estable
- A Coronary Relapse, white dove
- When I Die, Luis Estable
- As if I'd Fallen in Its Waves by Sophy.., Sophy Chen
- It Pushes It Out, Luis Estable
- Vatsyayana, You Had No Book To Write, Bu.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Blood Is Never Water, Luis Estable