Dear dreamer, help me to take off
Into my pathless, pure delight,
By always holding in your glove
My wing, a thin pretence of flight.
A freshness as of twilight brushes
Against you as you flutter me,
And each imprisoned wing-beat pushes
Back the horizon tenderly.
It's dizzying: shivers run through space
Like an enormous kiss, which, mad
At being born for no one's face,
Can not discharge, nor yet subside.
Don't you feel heaven is shy? It slips,
Blushing, a piece of laughter stifled,
Down by the corner of your lips
To hide in my concerted fold.
This sceptre rules the banks of rose
And pools of evening's golden mire,
This flying whiteness that you close
And land beside a bracelet's fire.
Oh dreaming lady, let me plunge
Into pure and pathless delight,
Invent a gentle lie,
To keep my wing in your hand.
A twilight coolness
Comes over you with each pulsation
Of the fan whose captive blow delicately,
Displaces the horizon.
Dizziness! how space shivers
Like an enormous kiss
That, madly wanting to be born,
Cannot burst forth nor find its peace.
Do you feel the sullen paradise
Like laughter wearing shrouds
Flowing up from the corner of your mouth
At the back of the unanimous furrow!
The scepter of pink embankments
Inert on golden evenings, this is it
This closed white flight that you interpose
Against the fire of a bangle
Stéphane Mallarmé's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Another Fan by Stéphane Mallarmé )
- Lost Love Redux, Robert Kane
- When I see u, dipa bhattacharyya
- This Flower, Rohit Sapra
- Pretend, dipa bhattacharyya
- This unknown world هذا العالم المجهول, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- IF, dipa bhattacharyya
- This unknown world, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Grace, Scott J. Shepard
- My chidhood poem collection -2, soulful heart
- Pleasant Weather, Royal Flower
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)