At Eighty-three She Lives Alone
Enclosure, steam-heated; a trial casket.
You are here; your name on a postal box;
entrance into another place like vapor.
No one knows you. No one speaks to you.
All of their cocks stare down their pant legs
at the ground. Their cunts are blind. They
barely let you through the check-out line.
Have a nice day. Plastic or paper?
Are you origami? A paper folded swan,
like the ones you made when you were ten?
When you saw the constellations, lying
on your back in the wet grass,
the soapy pear blossoms drifting
and wasting, and those stars, the burned out ones
whose light was still coming in waves;
your body was too slight.
How could it hold such mass?
Still on your lips the taste of something.
All night you waited for morning, all morning
for afternoon, all afternoon for night;
and still the longing sings.
Oh, paper bird with folded wings.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (At Eighty-three She Lives Alone by Ruth Stone )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Tiger, William Blake
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- As You Laid There, GJG Elton
- At the market..., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- Below, Frank Avon
- God's own..., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- 2 Fast And The Furious, Mark Harper
- midnight dream, Cee Bea
- know you are there...., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- You Are Your Wish, Gbolagade Taiwo
- a small stop...., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- Id est, Frank Avon