Anna Laetitia Barbauld
Awake My Soul!
Awake, my soul! lift up thine eyes,
See where thy foes against thee rise,
In long array, a numerous host;
Awake, my soul! or thou art lost.
Here giant Danger threatening stands
Mustering his pale terrific bands;
There Pleasure's silken banners spread,
And willing souls are captive led.
See where rebellious passions rage,
And fierce desires and lusts engage;
The meanest foe of all the train
Has thousands and ten thousands slain.
Thou tread'st upon enchanted ground,
Perils and snares beset thee round;
Beware of all, guard every part,
But most, the traitor in thy heart.
“Come then, my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield;”
Put on the armour from above
Of heavenly truth and heavenly love.
The terror and the charm repell,
And powers of earth, and powers of hell;
The Man of Calvary triumphed here;
Why should his faithful followers fear?
Anna Laetitia Barbauld's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Awake My Soul! by Anna Laetitia Barbauld )
- I have stood at the grave of the Hero, Bernard Kennedy
- afterlife, Marshall Gass
- Dreams Create a Beautiful World, Rohit Sapra
- The touch of a star is like the touch of.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Art of Creation, Anthony Di'anno
- Breathing slow, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Under the Same Moon, Amber Carreon
- You and Your Self, Frank Avon
- delicious red, Mandolyn ...
- Better than that, Cee Bea
Poem of the Day
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1927)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns