Anna Laetitia Barbauld
Awake My Soul!
Awake, my soul! lift up thine eyes,
See where thy foes against thee rise,
In long array, a numerous host;
Awake, my soul! or thou art lost.
Here giant Danger threatening stands
Mustering his pale terrific bands;
There Pleasure's silken banners spread,
And willing souls are captive led.
See where rebellious passions rage,
And fierce desires and lusts engage;
The meanest foe of all the train
Has thousands and ten thousands slain.
Thou tread'st upon enchanted ground,
Perils and snares beset thee round;
Beware of all, guard every part,
But most, the traitor in thy heart.
“Come then, my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield;”
Put on the armour from above
Of heavenly truth and heavenly love.
The terror and the charm repell,
And powers of earth, and powers of hell;
The Man of Calvary triumphed here;
Why should his faithful followers fear?
Anna Laetitia Barbauld's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Awake My Soul! by Anna Laetitia Barbauld )
- One who is against truth, gajanan mishra
- The Rain Falls On The Hill Above, Dennis Lange
- A Mirror, Margaret Alice Second
- Corners Of The Mouth, Saiom Shriver
- Lower Bunk Karma, Saiom Shriver
- Riddle Poem, Kiera Price
- Love is Sacrifice, Paul Sebastian
- The Guilty Innocent, Tata Kosi
- Lyman and Lloyd, Kim Barney
- The Incomplete Dzire, kashif khan
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- In Flanders Field, John McCrae
- Blow, Blow, Thou Winter Wind, William Shakespeare
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)