Away, away ! thou kneel'st in vain,
I will not hear thy plea;
'Tis worse than useless, fawning one,
To bend the knee to me !
Too late, too late those earnest vows
Are offered at love's shrine;
Though flowing from thy heart, they wake
No answering tone in mine.
Away, away ! I loved thee once
With all a woman's soul;
Thou read'st it in the varying blush
That would not brook control.
And thou didst smile a strange, cold smile
Whene'er our glances met
That almost crushed my young life out,—
Think'st thou I can forget?
Away, away ! I spurn thee now,
For time has burst the spell;
Thou knowest that I loved thee once,
' Not wisely, but too well.'
Hadst thou not deemed me all too weak
To clasp to thy proud breast,
Freely would I have given all
Affection's mines possessed.
Away, away ! thou need'st not speak
To the once ' thoughtless girl;'
Thy words, if uttered, would but fall
As rain-drops upon pearl.
Reason has triumphed, and 'twould seem
But mockery to begin
To woo and flatter when remains
The shade of what has been.
Away, away ! another's glance
Has fondly met my own ;
Another's voice has thrilled my frame
With its low, witching tone;
Another's lips have trembled with
The hopes they dared confess;
Another for my hand has sued,
And I have answered 'Yes.'
Kate Harrington's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Away! by Kate Harrington )
- Beautiful Girl, Anirudh Rawat
- Someday, Ryan Telebwe
- The Stars so Bright, Glenn Boeckx
- Catch the Moon, Maya Hanson (mye3)
- I Could Not Find My Way Free, Shalom Freedman
- Sailstarred, Sandsifting, Seaweed Script.., Saiom Shriver
- The art of love and affection!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Heaven with the Creator, Althea Marshall Wypyszczak
- Prison diary, Shikdar Waliuzzaman
- Mules, Saiom Shriver
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)