Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Baby's First Journey
Lightly they hold him and lightly they sway him-
Soft as a pillow are somebody's arms.
Down he goes slowly, ever so lowly
Over the rim of the cradle they lay him-
Baby's first journey is free from alarms.
Baby is growing while Mama sings by-lo,
Sturdy and rosy and laughing and fair,
Crowing and growing past every one's knowing,
Out goes the cradle and in comes the 'high-lo,'
Baby's next journey is into this chair.
Crying or cooing or waking or sleeping,
Baby is ever a thing to adore.
Look at him yonder-oh what a wonder,
Who would believe it, the darling is creeping,
Baby's next journey is over the floor.
Sweeter and cuter and brighter and stronger,
Mama can see every day how he's grown.
Shoes are all battered, stockings all tattered,
Oh! but the baby is baby no longer
Look at the fellow-he's walking alone!
Ella Wheeler Wilcox's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Baby's First Journey by Ella Wheeler Wilcox )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Did you read them?
- Sleeping Summers Beauty, Doug Jones
- If William Carlos Williams Had Been Born.., W.B. Keckler
- When will heavens love ever decline us?, Mark Heathcote
- Winning Bee, Jayatissa Liyanage
- Is it Halloween tonight, Mark Heathcote
- Buzzing Bee, Jayatissa Liyanage
- Question Reality, Monk E. Biz
- The Caged, Poet Akinwemimo Idris
- Good Are All Nights, Poet Akinwemimo Idris
- DEADLY EB OLA VIRUS, Chinweokwu Sunlight M. Ndubu ..