If you could bring her glories back!
You gentle sirs who sift the dust
And burrow in the mould and must
Of Babylon for bric-a-brac;
Who catalogue and pigeon-hole
The faded splendours of her soul
And put her greatness under glass -
If you could bring her past to pass!
If you could bring her dead to life!
The soldier lad; the market wife;
Madam buying fowls from her;
Tip, the butcher's bandy cur;
Workmen carting bricks and clay;
Babel passing to and fro
On the business of a day
Gone three thousand years ago -
That you cannot; then be done,
Put the goblet down again,
Let the broken arch remain,
Leave the dead men's dust alone -
Is it nothing how she lies,
This old mother of you all,
You great cities proud and tall
Towering to a hundred skies
Round a world she never knew,
Is it nothing, this, to you?
Must the ghoulish work go on
Till her very floors are gone?
While there's still a brick to save
Drive these people from her grave!
The Jewish seer when he cried
Woe to Babel's lust and pride
Saw the foxes at her gates;
Once again the wild thing waits.
Then leave her in her last decay
A house of owls, a foxes' den;
The desert that till yesterday
Hid her from the eyes of men
In its proper time and way
Will take her to itself again.
Ralph Hodgson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Babylon by Ralph Hodgson )
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(22 March 1941 -)
Michael P. McParland
(July 19 1983)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Your Laughter, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Word, Birgitta Heikka
- Ganjaraja And His Associates/Ganjaraja W.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Royal Presidio Chapel, Monterey California, Steven Federle
- the apple of my I, Prophmatt . . .
- And Then There Was Love, Sandra Feldman
- Sigh, Erwick Brandon
- Marwari Businessman Father-in-law Want I.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Happiness is not preventive., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Fatal Attraction, Sandra Feldman
- Be a finger of the hand., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.