What words should we etch
On memory’s precious plaques?
Which monkeys would we willingly stretch
Across our monkey-burdened backs?
Not debts, not grief,
Nor 800 lb gorillas.
Not death, not taxes,
Nor irked chinchillas
Upset by unchecked nightmares
Capturing and selling to Petco) .
Get ready, get set, go!
So that these steady words
Might chisel a heady,
lasting “IN MEMORIAM, ”
And not fizzle
Like flat Mr. Pibb
In the rarified auditorium
Of an otherwise terrified
Prefers 'The Real Thing.'
[12-31-05 Berkeley, CA]
David Floren's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Back Monkeys by David Floren )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- 68th Independence Day of India (15th Aug.., Dr John Celes
- At Victoria Memorial, Calcutta, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Missing You, Lilly Emery
- You Just Think She Is Your Sister Too, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Robots In Love, Bijay Kant Dubey
- George Crowley Bush, Richard Thripp
- Tragic Dream, Electric Lady
- Fading Away, Tara Stano
- Reasons of existence, Mohammad Siddiqui
- Parents' attachment., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.