the path of our smile,
through our forest of
with Hawk looking down
and Wolf looking up,
I am stuffing myself
as I always eat
when I am lonely.
When I come to the hollow tree
I step inside.
Could not resist,
and I rest a while.
When I reach our stream
the fishes are waiting
to give me a wave
and the smile that I need.
And the forest lights up
as if all suns were shining at once.
There you are,
and my heart,
if it didn't know you
would have fainted at this.
I long for a kiss.
As we tangled our arms
to be greeting each other
I briefly thought:
What I ever would do
if you weren't coming,
and you had gone away.
Then I killed that small floater
And you looked at the colours,
a bluish red, purple
that the berries had left.
And with movements that only
you lingered and kissed me-
I know that you don't
like a mess.
Herbert Nehrlich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Berries by Herbert Nehrlich )
- Finnish, Leslie Philibert
- Life shall turn, hasmukh amathalal
- Introverted Victims, Aisling Chia
- No Sheep to Count, Aisling Chia
- Sunset, Kwai Chee Low
- The Immigrants, Romella Kitchens
- Dream of Music, Kwai Chee Low
- An Ode to Coffee, Kwai Chee Low
- ! Forum Personas (PH Forum Commentary), Alice Vedral Rivera
- Songs and Music, Kwai Chee Low
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)