Northwest mist hides soft fir tree horizon.
We drive around curves through cold violet gray.
The day never really changes;
A full day of morning.
An abandoned field full of purple prickles;
Thrilling prospect - old boxes, old clothes -
We stop the car, hesitating to face
The violet rain waiting for us.
Shivers of early autumn delicious down our arms
Slight dismay - gazing at the emptiness of our boxes
Wondering if there are enough berries to fill them fully
And whether we will find them.
Down the old rows, once owned
By someone farming full time
Now the delight of weekend purple pickers in the rain
Prickles scratching fingers, thumbs,
Pathetic but persistent attack.
Black and blue - look - juicy and big
And calling you just a little beyond
Keep picking, tasting, laughing
Holding conversation among the fairy bushes.
Who may be listening?
Hours pass - purple inside and out
Full boxes of future jam and mashed bugs
Home again - sharing hot baths and flannel,
Sausages and beer
Warming up - tired and triumphant
Basking in violet grey fall friendship.
Christine Natale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Berry Picking by Christine Natale )
- RESULT: THE LAW OF CAUSE AND EFFECT, Dominic George
- A MASOCHISTIC SADIST TO A WOUNDED CHILD .., Dominic George
- MEN CAN'T WIN EVERYTHING, Dominic George
- TO THE PARADISE I WANT TO MARCH, Dominic George
- Uit de voegen, Madrason writer
- TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT I'M JUST TRYING TO A.., Dominic George
- NEARING THE FRONTIER (18 PG), Dominic George
- SELF ACCEPTANCE, Dominic George
- BREAKTHROUGH, Dominic George
- GUILT PREDICAMENT, Dominic George
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)