Misguided angels struck them on their beauteous heights,
Then rotting frames collapsed in flames from carious heights.
Demons vie for rights to control and destroy the masses,
Commanding herds to slaughter from their devious heights.
Sheets of fire consume in the name of good intention;
A rain of steel tears homes apart from dubious heights.
Huddled against fierce wind and cold on the mountain slopes
Refugees watch their cities burn from various heights.
A wide-eyed child points toward flares and thunderous sounds;
His blood-caked mother cries beneath the furious heights.
Seekers of emptiness fall into abysmal depths;
Seekers of fullness fall flailing from hideous heights.
The simple answer stares the world in the face each day;
Seek neither deep and fetid pits nor glorious heights.
With half the world besieged, Zahhar, by war and famine,
How did you come to live amid such bounteous heights?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Published in Muse Apprentice Guild in Fall of 2003.
This is a ghazal poem.
Comments about this poem (Blast by Erin Thomas )
- The Posture Of Consciousness, Maharishi Deja Vu
- Cloudy eyes, Nassy Fesharaki
- Ill luck, hasmukh amathalal
- The Peasant, kashif khan
- Insanity Of Control, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Barren Future, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Big Pharma, michael walkerjohn
- Finding Gold, douglas scotney
- My Thirst, michael walkerjohn
- Musty Shadows, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(22 March 1941 -)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns