It seemed that it were well to kiss first earth
On landing, having traversed the narrow seas,
And grasp so little, tenderly, of this field of birth.
Prance having trodden and lain on, travelled bending the knees.
And having shed blood — known heart for Her and last nerve freeze,
Proved body past heart, and soul past (so we thought) any worth
For what so dear a thing as the first homecoming,
The seeing smoke pillar aloft from the home dwellings;
Sign of travel ended, lifted awhile the dooming
Sentence of exile; homecoming, right of tale-tellings,
But mud is on our fate after so long acquaintance,
We find of England the first gate without Romance;
Blue paved wharfs with dock-policemen and civic decency,
Trains and restrictions, order and politeness and directions,
Motion by black and white, guided ever about ways
And staleness with petrol-dust distinguishing days.
A grim faced black-garbed mother efficient and busy
Set upon housework, worn-minded and fantasy free —
A work-house matron, forgetting Her old birth friend – the Sea.
Ivor Gurney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Blighty by Ivor Gurney )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- My Two Friends, Naveed Akram
- *Sigh*, Michael McParland
- Mouna Vrata - The Vow of Silence., Hardik Vaidya
- Handle, Aparna Chatterjee
- Dorothy Slept In The Emerald Eye Of Cycl.., mary douglas
- Panjhae pakhi, gajanan mishra
- The Shola king who owns the country snat.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Patra, gajanan mishra
- Select to Reject, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- mo jibana bipadare, gajanan mishra