Book Condition: (Fairest of the) Fair
this book is not a former library book. it has mild
smudging where a child lay down her candy bar
on a hot summer day; a few nail polish
spills enhance the hand-coloured
illustrations from A. Rackham, charmingly.
the spine has not cracked. God knows why.
the dog held it in his mouth for five whole minutes
(after the chocolate bar fiasco) slightly foxed, it is.
dog spumed. you won't mind, it's a rare edition.
grass stained, owner's former name in
Christmas inks, a bookplate with a mustachioed pirate.
a st. therese funeral card, bookmark-
the one with creamy roses in her arms,
in a former life, greatly loved, thumbed through
by small thumbs on finger-painting day at nursery school.
a magical screed. and glitter spattered that day we attempted
(for a school geography project) , the glittering snows of
Russia done, in papier mache and cerise towers.
bravely crayoned in.
once left under the redwood table, at the beach, after hours
you'll hardly wonder at
the mild water damage, scent of summer rains, old ferns,
the tuna fish lunched wax paper scrap from a
vanished picnic. tally, a
moon map scissored from the National Geographic
by my Grandfather.
a day that something wonderful was learned.
the once pink rose herein preserved.
the laundry ticket, included for free;
extravagant as Easter, one foil candy wrapper
smelling, faintly, of toffee.
coffee stains, no cream. no extra shipping;
mary angela douglas 17 july 2014
mary douglas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Book Condition: (Fairest of the) Fair by mary douglas )
- 'My Poems Conclusion With All My Sadness.., Ali Sabry
- 'My Dear, ', Ali Sabry
- - Dear My Lovely Beauty Princess3-, Ali Sabry
- - Dear My Lovely Beauty Princess2-, Ali Sabry
- - Dear My Lovely Beauty Princess1-, Ali Sabry
- - My Poems Introduction The Romantic Poe.., Ali Sabry
- Thomas Shadwell (an intro), Yohan Confectioner
- - My Last Letter To My Lovely Beauty Lad.., Ali Sabry
- - Yesterday I Was Walking Alone On The R.., Ali Sabry
- - To My Dear Expensive-, Ali Sabry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)