Breaking The News
Johnny's drowned — here's his clo'es
Where he's got to, we dunno;
Sure enough, he never rose;
So we thought we'd let you know.
Gosh! the fright has knocked us flat —
Here's his shirt, an' here's his hat.
Never seen him since he plopp'd,
Jist a'side the big red-gum;
So, thinks we, poor Johnny's copp'd —
All so suddent! — ain't it rum?
Must be snagg'd among the roots —
Here's his pants, an' socks, an' boots.
Simplest thing you ever seen —
Only just a common swim —
Cripes! it might as ready been
Me or Bill in place o' him!
Try to snake him out, I s'pose?
Anyway, we fetch'd his clo'es.
Joseph Furphy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Breaking The News by Joseph Furphy )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Really very unique..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- leave me your hands so i can learn how t.., Mandolyn Davidson
- Open Windows, Lilly Emery
- The Captor Paragon, johnny case
- The Melody Of The Wind, Dennis Lange
- Lesbian Bisexuals, Richard Thripp
- MAN WHO WALKED ON WATER, Colin Ian Jeffery
- Love and Tears, Beach Girl
- Till Now, Cheryl Griffith
- shamely departed, kyvin nash