But One Loaf
When the disciples crossed the lake
With but one loaf on board;
How strangely did their hearts mistake
The caution of their Lord.
The leaven of the Pharisees
Beware, the Saviour said;
They thought, it is because he sees
We have forgotten bread.
It seems they had forgotten too,
What their own eyes had viewed;
How with what scarce sufficed for few,
He fed a multitude.
If five small loaves, by his command,
Could many thousands serve;
Might they not trust his gracious hand,
That they should never starve?
They oft his pow'r and love had known,
And doubtless were to blame;
But we have reason good to own
That we are just the same.
How often has he brought relief,
And every want supplied!
Yet soon, again, our unbelief
Says, Can the Lord provide?
Be thankful for one loaf today,
Though that be all your store;
Tomorrow, if you trust and pray,
Shall timely bring you more.
John Newton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (But One Loaf by John Newton )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Conspiracy, Susmit Panda
- jupiter, Mandolyn Davidson
- Woodcutter Vs Woodpecker, SALINI NAIR
- Ne detin e ngrire te meendimeve te mia, skender iljaz braka
- Indiferentizem ekstrem, skender iljaz braka
- Mangesi tolerance, skender iljaz braka
- Ne ditet me te erreta te jetes sime, skender iljaz braka
- Nxitoni o ju hapa te penguara, skender iljaz braka
- I kthyer ne nje statuje te mermert, skender iljaz braka
- Ndofta per te fundit here, skender iljaz braka