I know that all that has gone before....
made me who i am today..
but i ask myself a simple truth...
can i change? ...
i have been shaped and forged...
under the heavy hammers of life...
does that make me unable to bend..
to weather the storms of life...
or will i instead break...
shatter into a thousend pieces...
never to be whole again...
i must learn to change...
i know we are all happier in routine...
we know where we stand day by day..
but does this imprison our souls...
cause us to decay and wither inside...
can we really grow this way? ...
i need to change...
i see that i must learn..
to be open to new ideas...
not to forget what made me this way...
and how i came to be...
just to learn and move onwards...
becoming something new...
i want to change...
i can change and i can grow...
just as we all can...
we cannot live within the past...
trapped by our regrets and fears...
we must cast off the crysalis that is our prison..
and stretch our wings and fly..
i will change....
Peter Madden's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Change by Peter Madden )
- King and Queen of Hearts, Philo Yan
- How can you rehabilitate us, Aftab Alam
- All Over, Edward Kofi Louis
- Haram II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Pick-Ups!, Edward Kofi Louis
- AK-47, Edward Kofi Louis
- Poem for Dwayne, Jenny Santiago
- Raschid, Edward Kofi Louis
- Cupcake capers, Roann Mendriq
- Dschamila, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)