Anthony Evan Hecht
Chorus From Oedipus At Colonos
What is unwisdom but the lusting after
Longevity: to be old and full of days!
For the vast and unremitting tide of years
Casts up to view more sorrowful things than joyful;
And as for pleasures, once beyond our prime,
They all drift out of reach, they are washed away.
And the same gaunt bailiff calls upon us all.
Summoning into Darkness, to those wards
Where is no music, dance, or marriage hymn
That soothes or gladdens. To the tenements of Death.
Not to be born is, past all yearning, best.
And second best is, having seen the light.
To return at once to deep oblivion.
When youth has gone, and the baseless dreams of youth,
What misery does not then jostle man's elbow,
Join him as a companion, share his bread?
Betrayal, envy, calumny and bloodshed
Move in on him, and finally Old Age--
Infirm, despised Old Age--joins in his ruin,
The crowning taunt of his indignities.
So is it with that man, not just with me.
He seems like a frail jetty facing North
Whose pilings the waves batter from all quarters;
From where the sun comes up, from where it sets,
From freezing boreal regions, from below,
A whole winter of miseries now assails him,
Thrashes his sides and breaks over his head.
Anthony Evan Hecht's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Chorus From Oedipus At Colonos by Anthony Evan Hecht )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(20 June 1952 -)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(27 March 1926 – 25 July 1966)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Rainbow's Promise, renu kakkar
- Andhere Kaa Deepak, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- You are all here, gajanan mishra
- Blue Wedding Bells Ring, Ken e Hall
- The Battleground, Leong Ming Loong
- An inner core, hasmukh amathalal
- Indeed I am no good so by Rasul Gamzatov, Yuri Starostin
- 1400 grams of wisdom (Merry Christmas), devon da poet
- Aspirations Inherited, Perveiz Ali
- Chimp Chomp - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- Night Sky, Paul Gerard Reed
- '' Life And Death '', bri mar