Churching Of Women
Is there, in bowers of endless spring,
One known from all the seraph band
By softer voice, by smile and wing
More exquisitely bland!
Here let him speed: to-day this hallowed air
Is fragrant with a mother's first and fondest prayer.
Only let Heaven her fire impart,
No richer incense breathes on earth:
"A spouse with all a daughter's heart,"
Fresh from the perilous birth,
To the great Father lifts her pale glad eye,
Like a reviving flower when storms are hushed on high.
Oh, what a treasure of sweet thought
Is here! what hope and joy and love
All in one tender bosom brought,
For the all-gracious Dove
To brood o'er silently, and form for Heaven
Each passionate wish and dream to dear affection given.
Her fluttering heart, too keenly blest,
Would sicken, but she leans on Thee,
Sees Thee by faith on Mary's breast,
And breathes serene and free.
Slight tremblings only of her veil declare
Soft answers duly whispered to each soothing prayer.
We are too weak, when Thou dost bless,
To bear the joy--help, Virgin-born!
By Thine own mother's first caress,
That waked Thy natal morn!
Help, by the unexpressive smile, that made
A Heaven on earth around this couch where Thou wast laid.
John Keble's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Churching Of Women by John Keble )
- Abstract Woman, Naveed Khalid
- Abstraction II, Naveed Khalid
- Abstraction I, Naveed Khalid
- Invisibility, Naveed Khalid
- Genie, Naveed Khalid
- Witchcraft, Naveed Khalid
- Circle, Yohan Confectioner
- Treblinka 1945, Michael O'Sullivan
- 'My Poems Conclusion With All My Sadness.., Ali Sabry
- 'My Dear, ', Ali Sabry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)