I never turned anyone into a pig.
Some people are pigs; I make them
Look like pigs.
I'm sick of your world
That lets the outside disguise the inside. Your men weren't bad men;
Did that to them. As pigs,
Under the care of
Me and my ladies, they
Sweetened right up.
Then I reversed the spell, showing you my goodness
As well as my power. I saw
We could be happy here,
As men and women are
When their needs are simple. In the same breath,
I foresaw your departure,
Your men with my help braving
The crying and pounding sea. You think
A few tears upset me? My friend,
Every sorceress is
A pragmatist at heart; nobody sees essence who can't
Face limitation. If I wanted only to hold you
I could hold you prisoner.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Circe's Power by Louise Gluck )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(June 7, 1943)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Mayling, Arno Le Roux
- Naming Our Wall, Arno Le Roux
- Oh Beautiful Arkansas, Dorsey Baker
- Those one thousand miles, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- New Amusement Park! EARTHUPERFUN, Mr. Nobody
- Queen Patrenialla - Part 2, QueenPatrenia Turner, Royalt ..
- Queen Patrenialla The Story Poem, QueenPatrenia Turner, Royalt ..
- ET part 3, lee fones
- From Green To Gold, Rodrigo Diaz
- Aboude, MOHAMMAD SKATI