I never turned anyone into a pig.
Some people are pigs; I make them
Look like pigs.
I'm sick of your world
That lets the outside disguise the inside. Your men weren't bad men;
Did that to them. As pigs,
Under the care of
Me and my ladies, they
Sweetened right up.
Then I reversed the spell, showing you my goodness
As well as my power. I saw
We could be happy here,
As men and women are
When their needs are simple. In the same breath,
I foresaw your departure,
Your men with my help braving
The crying and pounding sea. You think
A few tears upset me? My friend,
Every sorceress is
A pragmatist at heart; nobody sees essence who can't
Face limitation. If I wanted only to hold you
I could hold you prisoner.
Louise Gluck's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Circe's Power by Louise Gluck )
- The one who is blessed by the God is su.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Angel, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Malaria, hasmukh amathalal
- The life we have lived, Goodenough Sakhile Dlamini
- At our will, hasmukh amathalal
- See the fishes, hasmukh amathalal
- Two Become One, Loide V Augustinus
- Your Sweetness, Loide V Augustinus
- Why do you mock at my love, Nalini Chaturvedi
- Drifting Away, Loide V Augustinus