Through the eyes of a friend
Are seen rare opportunities of comfortable trust
That are not recognized with others.
Advice and criticism are brothers to praise and encouragement
In ways that do not translate to the general populace.
There is no 'time out chair' or 'hurt feelings penalty box' with friends.
All that exists are exposed, raw nerve endings that do not find offense
With direct dialogue,
Recognizing that the ultimate benefit would be one for another.
No matter the crime, no matter the punishment,
The court of friendship does not impose verdicts.
The only ruling that comes down-the only court cost-
Is that the friendship is to be honored as a 'life sentence',
And the key to the cell has been thrown away.
william upton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Court Cost by william upton )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
- changing the world, Frederick J.B. Moore II
- Worrdless Man xx xxx xx Original 12 .., Lee Mack
- Not seeing sweet Sweetie is impossible!, Nyota Yasulwe
- Rollikng Six xx xxx xx Original 11 1.., Lee Mack
- Beg the Question xx xxx xx Original 1.., Lee Mack
- गोखा मोन्दांथि, Ronjoy Brahma
- Mythic Implications Versus Contemporary .., Terence G. Craddock
- When Sin Could Never Be xx xxx xx Orir.., Lee Mack
- Tab Yaad Tumhari Aati Hai, Mithilesh Dixit
- Out Of The Light, Michael McParland