Through the eyes of a friend
Are seen rare opportunities of comfortable trust
That are not recognized with others.
Advice and criticism are brothers to praise and encouragement
In ways that do not translate to the general populace.
There is no 'time out chair' or 'hurt feelings penalty box' with friends.
All that exists are exposed, raw nerve endings that do not find offense
With direct dialogue,
Recognizing that the ultimate benefit would be one for another.
No matter the crime, no matter the punishment,
The court of friendship does not impose verdicts.
The only ruling that comes down-the only court cost-
Is that the friendship is to be honored as a 'life sentence',
And the key to the cell has been thrown away.
william upton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Court Cost by william upton )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- I Don't Want A Machine To Read This Poem, Shalom Freedman
- Letter, Nikola Vaptsarov
- Eulogy, Michael McParland
- The Wife's Song, Nikola Vaptsarov
- Eternal Silence, Michael McParland
- Eternal Life, Michael McParland
- The Comrade's Song, Nikola Vaptsarov
- A Dream, Nikola Vaptsarov
- Spain, Nikola Vaptsarov
- ONE MORE ANNIVERSARY, Satish Verma