Mark R. Elias
Most every time it clangs on stone
This fork I'm thrusting into soil.
The blunt vibrations make me boil,
Make hot my blood, my sinew, bone,
And useless, anger at the toil.
I try a different angle or
Approach it from the other side.
I use my foot to help it slide,
The fork, to help it slide the more.
But still the stones provide, provide.
I sit down slowly with a groan
Aware this is a test of will.
A sudden wind gives me a chill
And moves about the house to moan.
Above, clouds bucket-grey hang still.
And as I scrape soil from my thumb
A robin hops into my view.
For worms? I've unearthed quite a few
And sweeter they than seed or crumb.
But no, he stands as if in glue
Atop the mound my work has made.
He darts his busy head about
And puffs his red breast in and out
As though his heart he has displayed,
A heart that never was in doubt.
Perhaps that heart though isn't his.
Perhaps it is mine all along
And maybe, though I might be wrong,
This robin but my spirit is:
Flighty, steadfast; fragile, strong.
Renewed, I see what it is worth
This cultivation work of mine.
I stand up straight and stretch my spine
And yank the fork out of the earth.
Then stab it back in. Stab it fine.
Mark R. Elias's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Cultivation by Mark R. Elias )
- In secrets, gajanan mishra
- A-DOODLE-DO, Donald R Charon
- Nostalgia- Song of the Expatriate, S.zaynub Kamoonpuri
- Wipes off obloquy, gajanan mishra
- Beloved of Bronze Skin, Donald R Charon
- a dead sea scroll unrolled, Mandolyn ...
- I am Thy Woman O my Protector, Aftab Alam
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #12, Ronjoy Brahma
- Wandering With Affliction, Donald R Charon
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #11, Ronjoy Brahma
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)