Dark Angel of My Nature
From the pavement where my mind walks
Stretches a painful vista of devastation
My life’s loneliness, heartache’s wrecks
I am followed by a shadow of ruins.
There is no sound of inner feelings
Only the stillness of my emotions catacombs
My footsteps toward reality fall dull
Silenced on a deserted sidewalk.
A funeral procession of inner inhibitions
Seem interminable, they stretch for miles
My unheard screams echo against dead walls
I have fallen; I only see a black and blue horizon.
I somehow get to my knees, trying to see the light
Only, in a sadden melancholy way, am re-shuttered
Life’s constant haunting is in constant pursuit
On and on, hour after hour, its task is to cover my retreat.
Day to day, their daunting lines are alternately forming
Fighting, regrouping, making for one continuous battle
My mind asks me, 'Why are you running? '
And I answer, 'I’m running because there’s no where to hide! '
Still running, as-if incapable of fatigue
From this somewhat peculiarly viewed behavior
I, at last, discover that my soul is wasting away
The last bits of my life are finally exhausted.
I am relieved, no more necessity to guard my sanity
What’s left of me moves aimlessly from point A to point A
Nothing is no longer needed for life to render its triumph
No peace will ever be made with this infamous invader.
Robert Sheridan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dark Angel of My Nature by Robert Sheridan )
- नोँ सैथो समायना, Ronjoy Brahma
- Classes: Ruling, Fooling, and Drooling, Alfred Barna
- Dilemma, Gillian Commerford
- Living, Gillian Commerford
- सानसे, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Square, Frank Avon
- Shelling Peas on Boulders Beach [for my .., Gillian Commerford
- हार्थखिया मिनिदोँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- just orientation..many can be straighten.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Demented Souls (A re-submission), Valsa George
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Conclusion, Sir Walter Raleigh
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)