How David, when by sin deceived,
From bad to worse went on!
For when the Holy Spirit's grieved,
Our strength and guard are gone.
His eye on Bathsheba once fixed,
With poison filled his soul;
He ventured on adult'ry next,
And murder crowned the whole.
So from a spark of fire at first,
That has not been descried;
A dreadful flame has often burst,
And ravaged far and wide.
When sin deceives it hardens too,
For though he vainly fought
To hide his crimes from public view,
Of God he little thought.
He neither would, or could repent,
No true compunction felt;
'Till God in mercy Nathan sent,
His stubborn heart to melt.
The parable held forth a fact,
Designed his case to show;
But though the picture was exact,
Himself he did not know.
Thou art the man, the prophet said,
That word his slumber broke;
And when he owned his sin, and prayed,
The Lord forgiveness spoke.
Let those who think they stand beware,
For David stood before;
Nor let the fallen soul despair,
For mercy can restore.
John Newton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (David's Fall by John Newton )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- "Twist these Big Tits Purple", Richard Thripp
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -66, Ronjoy Brahma
- Stories Are Created, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- When Fresh Fish Fails, Richard Thripp
- center, laxami Cards
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -65, Ronjoy Brahma
- Im sorry mom, claudia Fernandez
- Witless Innocence, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Sitters And Their Dreams, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- There Is Nothing I Can Do, Lawrence S. Pertillar