Lydia Howard Huntley Sigourney
Deacon Normand Smith,
Died at Hartford, May 22d, 1860, aged 87.
One saintly man the less, to teach us how
Wisely to live,--one blest example more
To teach us how to die.
Fourscore and seven,
Swept not the beauty of his brow away,
Nor quell'd his voice of music, nor impair'd
The social feeling that through all his life
Ran like a thread of gold.
In filial arms
Close wrapp'd with watchful tenderness, he trod
Jordan's cold brink.
The world was beautiful,
But Christ's dear love so wrought within his heart
That to depart seem'd better.
Many a year
He lent his influence to the church he loved,
For unity and peace, and countless gems
Dropp'd from his lips when the last sickness came,
To fortify young pilgrims in the course
That leads to glory and eternal life.
As the frail flesh grew weak, the soul look'd forth
With added brightness thro' the clear, dark eye,
As though it saw unutterable things,
Or heard the welcome of beloved ones
Who went to rest before him.
So, with smiles,
And prayers and holy hymns, and loving words
He laid the burden of the body down,
And slept in Jesus.
Lydia Howard Huntley Sigourney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Deacon Normand Smith, by Lydia Howard Huntley Sigourney )
- You are imperishable, gajanan mishra
- E a Lua e as Estrelas e o Mundo, Gabriela Laufer
- Flower, Cee Bea
- Lavender, Cee Bea
- THE SHRIEK, Satish Verma
- The Terror, David Lewis Paget
- Union - within us, gajanan mishra
- Haiku(GOD), Aftab Alam
- chaos of Christmas near, lee fones
- The earth is moving, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)