Andrew David Dalby
We nearly met...leaving mere hints
of subtle reflected connections,
that longed to delicately linger.
She smiled, with no conditions;
nor hiding her near raw hunger.
Dared I admit, how I truly felt,
and torn my heart upon her alter?
For everything was in her eyes.
From the heady intoned desire,
to a distant time etched echo
that was just longing to be free.
She was complete in her radiance...
While I...I in agony, ached to burn;
Yet not plead for my forgiveness.
We so very nearly drifted together.
Our bodies, enticed, near entwined;
I felt our heart pulses, sweat leather.
and as our tender lips, slipped long sips,
In passionate and needy expectation;
I saw his nailed hard, wrapped hands,
rest about her, in cold determination.
It was with a whisper and hand gesture
that made me pause, stall then hesitate.
Then with a subtle sigh and sad blush,
she hinted this could be her checkmate.
so, with night, shining in her naked eye,
I watched her go... and let her die...
feeling her bullet...then sensing her dead-weight.
Andrew David Dalby's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dead weight. by Andrew David Dalby )
- Finnish, Leslie Philibert
- Life shall turn, hasmukh amathalal
- Introverted Victims, Aisling Chia
- No Sheep to Count, Aisling Chia
- Sunset, Kwai Chee Low
- The Immigrants, Romella Kitchens
- Dream of Music, Kwai Chee Low
- An Ode to Coffee, Kwai Chee Low
- ! Forum Personas (PH Forum Commentary), Alice Vedral Rivera
- Songs and Music, Kwai Chee Low
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)