Boatman, thrice I've called thee o er,
Waiting on life's solemn shore,
Tracing, in the silver sand,
Letters, till thy boat should land.
Drifting out alone, with thee,
Toward the clime I cannot see,
Read to me the strange device
Graven on thy wand of ice,
Push the curls of golden hue
From thine eyes of starlit dew,
And behold me where I stand,
Beckoning thy boat to land.
Where the river mist, so pale,
Trembles like a bridal veil,
O'er yon lowly drooping tree,
One that loves me waits for me.
Hear, still boatman, hear my call!
Last year, with the leaflet's fall,
Resting her pale hand in mine,
Crossed she in that boat of thine.
When the corn shall cease to grow,
And the rye-field's sea-like flow
At the reaper's feet is laid,
(Crossing, spoke the gentle maid),
Dearest love, another year
Thou shalt meet this boatmen here -
The white fingers of despair
Playing with his shining hair.
From this silver-sanded shore,
Beckon him to row thee o'er;
Where yon solemn shadows be,
I shall wait thee - come and see!
- There! the white sails float and flow,
One in heaven and one below;
And I hear a low voice cry,
Ferryman of Death am I.
Alice Cary's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Death's Ferryman by Alice Cary )
- Love that I Lust, The Princess is
- He Empowers, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The greatest clown, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A child's letter, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Hare and The Turtle, Harold R Hunt Sr
- In the scream of the night, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Daddy are you, Harold R Hunt Sr
- My Parent's Beliefs Stink, Mr. Nobody
- As the summer ends., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Never say goodbye., Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)