Tighten my fetters.
Confiscate my papers
Fill my mouth with dust.
Poetry is blood in the heart,
salt in bread,
moisture in eyes.
It is written with fingernails,
I shall proclaim in my detention cell,
in the bathroom,
in the stable,
under the lash,
in the violence of chains,
that a million birds
on the branches of my heart,
are singing fighting songs.
Mahmoud Darwish's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Defiance by Mahmoud Darwish )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- 68th Independence Day of India (15th Aug.., Dr John Celes
- At Victoria Memorial, Calcutta, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Missing You, Lilly Emery
- You Just Think She Is Your Sister Too, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Robots In Love, Bijay Kant Dubey
- George Crowley Bush, Richard Thripp
- Tragic Dream, Electric Lady
- Fading Away, Tara Stano
- Reasons of existence, Mohammad Siddiqui
- Parents' attachment., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.