Edna St. Vincent Millay
It's little I care what path I take,
And where it leads it's little I care;
But out of this house, lest my heart break,
I must go, and off somewhere.
It's little I know what's in my heart,
What's in my mind it's little I know,
But there's that in me must up and start,
And it's little I care where my feet go.
I wish I could walk for a day and a night,
And find me at dawn in a desolate place
With never the rut of a road in sight,
Nor the roof of a house, nor the eyes of a face.
I wish I could walk till my blood should spout,
And drop me, never to stir again,
On a shore that is wide, for the tide is out,
And the weedy rocks are bare to the rain.
But dump or dock, where the path I take
Brings up, it's little enough I care:
And it's little I'd mind the fuss they'll make,
Huddled dead in a ditch somewhere.
'Is something the matter, dear,' she said,
'That you sit at your work so silently?'
'No, mother, no, 'twas a knot in my thread.
There goes the kettle, I'll make the tea.'
Edna St. Vincent Millay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Departure by Edna St. Vincent Millay )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Preface To A Twenty Volume Suicide Note, Imamu Amiri Baraka
- Out, Out, Robert Frost
- Barter, Sara Teasdale
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Changing Everything, Jane Hirshfield
- If Thou Of Fortune Be Bereft, John Greenleaf Whittier
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
Poem of the Day
- Bless You Always, Michael P. McParland
- ' The Misunderstanding Of Poetry..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Earth's work of heart, Roann Mendriq
- Poem for Gushungo, Wensislaus Mbirimi
- A Cheaper Way To Fly, Darren Hobson
- Dear Lonely Animal,, Oni Buchanan
- And The World, Darren Hobson
- Heaven Must Be A Lonely Place, Derek Brendish
- all at once..., ging taping
- Could I Walk Alone?, Derek Brendish