Digits and Words
Manuscript page 100, a digit of colossal abstraction,
standing alone, inconsequential, just another zero.
When I was five I could count to hundred, stood by
the window counting people walking by.
It was a small street and not many walked there, so
I learned to cheat, counting people twice.
Sundays was especially difficult I had to count people
three time, when I first saw them, when they were by
the window and when they disappeared.
Then suddenly I was six and could read, and count to
thousand, but by then I lost interest in numbers and
fell in love with words that could create visible beauty.
But there is no getting away from numbers when my
first poem was published they paid me 5 coronas.
oskar hansen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Digits and Words by oskar hansen )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- What Can Israel Do It If They Understand.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Gods Strong Hold, Lilly Emery
- Softball Game, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Maharshi Aurobido's The Life Divine, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Casting A Lure, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Flagflap, Saiom Shriver
- Ants, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Shadow Play, Saiom Shriver
- essay 1, gordon nosworthy
- Grasping Sunlight, RoseAnn V. Shawiak