A church man talks of acceptance and salvation. I attempt to listen, but I’m a sucker for beer and women. Riddles wrote on parchment and bound into a neat package of ugly politics. A life lived in preparation to die.
-A soup kitchen for sinners
Dressed in glamorous rags, dime store suit and tie. Feast on famine; all you can eat ‘til you’re full at the ears. I’m still hung over from Saturday nights mass. The keg was tapped and we dashed from the cops, improvised sermons of bullshit and big fish storytelling save my soul from its chronic case of boredom.
-The abyss of ambiguity
A mind for hire, do with it what you wish. Scratch my belly I call you master, dogs have it best. Deciphering do’s and don’ts becomes cumbersome and cruel, and master puts food in its bowl. Loyalty is whored out to the most convincing voice, but dogs don’t understand speech. Only sounds.
-On whims of ignorance
Snapshots of contentment hang to my wall between the cracks of confusion. I'm scared of being right, or being wrong. A lose-lose location and I’m standing on the hyphen. I reach for my pen. Riddles I write and bind, an ugly package of neat fairytales. A life lived in preparation to live.
Adam Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dogmatic by Adam Holmes )
- seriously though, the ending is dope, Mandolyn ...
- Performing A Musical, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Separation of the women who resemble sui.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- The Light The Night Sows, Walid Lounes Bouzerar
- Lasting Sorrow, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Heart condition, Ibrar Siddiqi
- A Poet's Echo, Nate Flying Owl
- did the clergy man create chaos when the.., Mandolyn ...
- Path Of No Resistance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- If Love... The This Follow...., Luis Estable
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)