Each Time I Pass A Cemetery
Each time I pass a cemetery the thoughts come back to me
That such places do remind us of our own mortality
'Tis said that they do rest in peace though in death they had no choice
The dead for themselves cannot speak death robbed them of a voice.
I too do fear the fear of death why otherwise pretend
And each time I pass a cemetery I think of my own end
I envy those who believe in an afterlife of happiness
Their gift of faith at for them what will be with joy they do express.
Each time that I do pass the place where the dead people lay
I think that there too will be for me a final night and day
And with every minute that we live our end to us is near
And only the thought of the fear of death that we do ever fear.
Inscribed gravestones of concrete and marble are everywhere around
To mark the graves where the dead lay in consecrated ground
They once breathed the air the living breathe and walked in the sunshine
And the very thought does bother me that their lot will be mine.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Each Time I Pass A Cemetery by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- food walk, lee fones
- The Now., RAJ VIKRAM
- The technique of survival., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- A Gift Logic Can't Buy, Donal Mahoney
- Rain-A Mirror, RAJ VIKRAM
- My Hero, Electric Lady
- A Drive, Kai Wendland
- a heart full of love..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Poppy Flower, Zubair Ali
- Remembrance., RAJ VIKRAM
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)