Julia A Moore
Early Days of Rockford
Air -- "Lucy Long"
My friends, I pray you listen,
I'll sing a little song,
About the village of Rockford,
It will not take me long;
And how it was first settled
By enterprising men,
And all the news about it,
I'll tell you if I can.
Situated in a wilderness,
With forests all around,
Thirteen miles from Grand Rapids,
Is this florishing town.
On the banks of Rogue river,
Where runs the water still,
And in the early settled days,
Was called Laphamville.
First settled by Smith Lapham,
In eighteen and forty-three,
Then came the Hunter brothers
To keep him company.
Lapham and Hunter Brothers
Built each a shingle mill,
On the banks of Rogue river
Are the same old buildings still.
In the early days of Rockford
They had to run a stage,
They had no other conveyance
To get from place to place.
Now they go by railway,
The cars run night and day;
The early days of Rockford
Have nearly passed away.
Julia A Moore's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Early Days of Rockford by Julia A Moore )
- Money plays, hasmukh amathalal
- Thinking's Mates, michael walkerjohn
- translate button on blouse, Havilah
- BEAUTY, BUT NOT BEAUTIFUL, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Beauty Of Song, Eve Carter
- WHINING FAITH, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Savoring Music, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Integrity, Hans Raj Sharma
- In The Bosom of The Fire Is The Mystery, Little Eagle McGowan
- Would you still make love to me?, The Princess is
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)