Love, you must remember,
Where we met, when we met,
In the forest in September,
Tell me you did not forget.
I had only ever asked you,
For a dance, just one dance,
When you covered me with kisses,
In a frenzy of romance.
Je t'aime Evangelique,
Your true smiles, many smiles,
Broke like waves across your cheek,
And the leaves in mammoth piles,
Crumpled underneath our feet,
I was lost, I was lost,
In that everlasting autumn,
Covered over now with frost.
Now you say you do not know me,
Am I changed? Are you changed?
If indeed you are, then show me,
Do not call us both deranged.
Be, instead, again my faery,
Gracious queen, gracious queen,
Softly cover me with kisses,
In our wood of gold and green.
Je t'aime, Evangelique,
Now you go, once you go,
To the valley of the bleak,
Agoras, empty in the snow.
Do you tear away my wings,
For the fun? Oh, what fun!
Or so I may never follow you,
Into the dying sun?
Years from now, sweet lover,
When I'm old, very old,
And the wood we walked is covered,
With the winter, white and cold,
I will beat these stumps you've left me,
In the air, frozen air,
I will beat these wings now tattered,
I'll remember and despair.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Evangelique by Leland D'Elormie )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(22 March 1941 -)
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- It isn't easy!, Lubinda Lubinda
- I Am Third, Perry Biggerstaff
- The Nigeria Political Vampires, Chinweokwu Sunlight M. Ndubu ..
- Alack! Afore! Alack! Afore!, Dexsta Ray
- WAR modern art-form of meaninglessness, George Dee Vuy
- I let myself, Elena Ioannou
- Love Is Hard, Is It Poetry
- Broken Waves, Pintu Mahakul
- PH: Poetry Writing: In Poetry, Brian Johnston
- Moving Out, Adriana Avila