-Viña del Mar, Chile
Ascend those hills away from glitz of Malecón and Casino
where streets tangle around themselves and stone buildings
built by Spaniards still stained with blood
hold the damp and mold of age-old conquest.
Teens spill out of noisy antros and climb cobblestone hills
watched by bouncers with swollen arms and faces cold as gargoyles.
Below the looming bulk of El Castillo
gringa students fresh from Spanish classes
try out their tortured vowels on local boys
who smile and strut and lull them to the shadows.
What could happen usually does
so far from home (so curious, so blond, so new) .
And when they return to the hostel with aching muscles and snail-tracked thighs
they know a new idiom that the local girls have memorized.
And what they show their friends back home
(those bright digital images)
are as remote as the Southern cross or the Clouds of Magellan
to the ones they'll carry forever inside.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fallen Angels by michael hogan )
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 February 1970-)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Charm invests a face, Emily Dickinson
- In The Forest, Sarojini Naidu
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- An English Girl, So Beautiful And Lovely!, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Peace, hafiz qasim
- While Strolling Down the Beach Today, Kenn Nesbitt
- I Am A Don, I Am A Don. Yes, Boss, You A.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- In a Nutshell, hafiz qasim
- Rapture, Robert Dana
- Love's Just Like That, Kevin John Racaza
- Moments, Kevin John Racaza
- English Culture Cannot Be Multi-Culti, Bijay Kant Dubey
- It's Nothing, Kevin John Racaza