Charlotte Mary Mew
Sometimes in the over-heated house, but not for long,
Smirking and speaking rather loud,
I see myself among the crowd,
Where no one fits the singer to his song,
Or sifts the unpainted from the painted faces
Of the people who are always on my stair;
They were not with me when I walked in heavenly places;
But could I spare
In the blind Earth's great silences and spaces,
The din, the scuffle, the long stare
If I went back and it was not there?
Back to the old known things that are the new,
The folded glory of the gorse, the sweetbriar air,
To the larks that cannot praise us, knowing nothing of what we do,
And the divine, wise trees that do not care.
Yet, to leave Fame, still with such eyes and that bright hair!
God! If I might! And before I go hence
Take in her stead
To our tossed bed
One little dream, no matter how small, how wild.
Just now, I think I found it in a field, under a fence -
A frail, dead, new-born lamb, ghostly and pitiful and white
A blot upon the night,
The moon's dropped child
Charlotte Mary Mew's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fame by Charlotte Mary Mew )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- The Mousetrap, Herbert Nehrlich
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- If You Could, Brian J. Stafford
- Melancholy of a dreamer, Jonathan De Vocht
- The snow makes me happy., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Nilgiri Tahrs., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Wild boars., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Father Damiern, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Thunder In The Distance, Susan Lacovara
- Grant me Love! Demon., Leylek D. Sovura
- Test is on, Nassy Fesharaki
- Post Script, Susan Lacovara