So many different interpretations.
Three simple words
Yet with uncertain results
It can imply possession,
The right to make demands,
With little need to give in return.
No more the need for affection.
It implies forever.
It can be the desire to give
Happiness, pleasure, comfort,
To value, respect and share.
An offer of unfailing friendship,
A shelter from the storm.
It may be forever, it may not.
Through life we become too afraid.
That which our souls tell us should enrich
We fear will destroy.
The emotion filling us with joy, we know,
Is destined to bring us sorrow.
Will I ever know when it is safe?
Will I ever again take the chance?
Or from here on will I stay emotionally mute?
Forever fearful to say once more
“I love you”
Susan Ash's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fearful by Susan Ash )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- आज आंसू बहाओ - Suffering, yashovardhan kulkarni
- I loved you more than enough.., Rene Perera
- The victory of peace and truth., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Festival for unity(Republic -Day Celebra.., Aftab Alam
- Love Note 5, Michael P. McParland
- Attempts for peace., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- THE GREAT UNKNOWN - Determined the world, sEaN nOrTh
- A Small Rest 2, Michael P. McParland
- Corrective body for peace., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- आं थाबायो सिगांजोँ, Ronjoy Brahma