So many different interpretations.
Three simple words
Yet with uncertain results
It can imply possession,
The right to make demands,
With little need to give in return.
No more the need for affection.
It implies forever.
It can be the desire to give
Happiness, pleasure, comfort,
To value, respect and share.
An offer of unfailing friendship,
A shelter from the storm.
It may be forever, it may not.
Through life we become too afraid.
That which our souls tell us should enrich
We fear will destroy.
The emotion filling us with joy, we know,
Is destined to bring us sorrow.
Will I ever know when it is safe?
Will I ever again take the chance?
Or from here on will I stay emotionally mute?
Forever fearful to say once more
“I love you”
Susan Ash's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fearful by Susan Ash )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Peter S. Quinn
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Bull, Ralph Hodgson
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
Poem of the Day
- A pencil on a painting, Ntando.B Da poet
- Distance, Alex Rodriguez
- Fierceless, Alex Rodriguez
- A Thousand More, Smoky Hoss
- i think i left my hand in yours. go look., Mandolyn ...
- Wild cold of novemeber, Alex Rodriguez
- Far Off, Sentamu Aziz
- Mill By The River, Stratis Havarti
- Take A Stand, Saiom Shriver
- Suckling, Saiom Shriver