So many different interpretations.
Three simple words
Yet with uncertain results
It can imply possession,
The right to make demands,
With little need to give in return.
No more the need for affection.
It implies forever.
It can be the desire to give
Happiness, pleasure, comfort,
To value, respect and share.
An offer of unfailing friendship,
A shelter from the storm.
It may be forever, it may not.
Through life we become too afraid.
That which our souls tell us should enrich
We fear will destroy.
The emotion filling us with joy, we know,
Is destined to bring us sorrow.
Will I ever know when it is safe?
Will I ever again take the chance?
Or from here on will I stay emotionally mute?
Forever fearful to say once more
“I love you”
Susan Ash's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fearful by Susan Ash )
- The new and ugly SaykesPeko, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Dear Daughter, Dean Meredith
- That ugly frustration, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Dorian Gray, Nassy Fesharaki
- Reality Is, Esther Thornburg
- Our days are clearly well-known, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Life, samuel sannoh
- Blind, Blind, Naveed Khalid
- A ripple's life, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- What is this world of ours ماهذا العالم .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Autumn Song, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)