(For A. K. K.)
What distant mountains thrill and glow
Beneath our Lady Folly's tread?
Why has she left us, wise in woe,
Shrewd, practical, uncomforted?
We cannot love or dream or sing,
We are too cynical to pray,
There is no joy in anything
Since Lady Folly went away.
Many a knight and gentle maid,
Whose glory shines from years gone by,
Through ignorance was unafraid
And as a fool knew how to die.
Saint Folly rode beside Jehanne
And broke the ranks of Hell with her,
And Folly's smile shone brightly on
Christ's plaything, Brother Juniper.
Our minds are troubled and defiled
By study in a weary school.
O for the folly of the child!
The ready courage of the fool!
Lord, crush our knowledge utterly
And make us humble, simple men;
And cleansed of wisdom, let us see
Our Lady Folly's face again.
Joyce Kilmer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Folly by Joyce Kilmer )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Autumn, Andrea Vescovo
- I Love You Kira 6, Michael P. McParland
- sonnet 6: God of snow, Juwon Daniel
- Late Payment, Angela Wybrow
- Love versus Fear, Darian Kalamerd
- unforgettable summer nights, Juwon Daniel
- Wake up! ! !, ramesh rai
- Cinquante, Marilyn Jean
- Tears Of The Moon, val legend
- Tempered, Debra Cranford