Amjad Islam Amjad
For Parveen's Son
My moon-faced nephew,
eyes which had dreamt
only about you are shut.
After many a dream
and crossing oases,
she got you, your love.
You the fragrance
for which she rejected
the garden's bounties.
In a field of marigolds
she talked to herself.
Her hues lent colour
to your life.
Geetu, epitome of
her every dream,
‘the glory of full moon',
Under heaps of earth
lies the intellect
whose voice teemed with moons,
whose poetry, a repository
of youthful dreams,
won masters' enconiums.
Yes, my moon-like nephew,
one whom we buried was
not only your mother
but voice of an age.
Her work infused the
world with fragrance.
She who on a
voyage of fragrance,
was tormented by flowers' plight.
In a cascading
surge of recognition who knew,
she will leave us all
and be topped by earth
and disintegrate quietly.
[Translated by Prakash Chander]
Amjad Islam Amjad's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (For Parveen's Son by Amjad Islam Amjad )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Ghazal 2, Yasmeen Khan
- Friends No More, Kelly Shanks
- Shine goes, hasmukh amathalal
- Is the lady a tramp?, Israh Sadan
- Late night, Leong Ming Loong
- If Minds Were As Brooks, Richard Blay
- She Loves Me, Omar Eldamsheety
- Face in the window, Israh Sadan
- Who the killer?, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Nested above the lavenders, maryline vautravers