Anne Barbara Ridler
A long while, a long long while it seems:
The bat-winged figure shaking his robe,
The cameras purring.
It is Daedalus the tailor, up on the Eiffel Tower
Ready to fly. The year is 1900;
We watch it, now.
...Shakes at his bat-robe, first to the right,
Then left, then right again, a twitch,
A doubtful gesture.
'Cast thyself from the pinnacle, angels will bear thee up.'
So great a height - the wings will surely beat
And bear me up?
Shaking his robe. A mile of film we are wasting:
Why doesn't he jump? In these long seconds
What is he thinking?
That the plan was crazy, and the careful stitches
Shaped him a shroud? Perhaps he is wondering
How to withdraw.
To pretend a flaw in the work, a change in the wind;
And imagines how it would be to face
The jeering crowd,
Slink back to his trade and live, with nothing to live for.
So still he hesitates, and shakes his shroud,
Then, suddenly, jumps.
Not even a flap from the wings. The lens below
Can barely follow the plummeting shape,
So quick his fall,
Hollowing out his own grave.
We are caught between dismay and laughter
Watching it now -
Not in a myth, not a century back, but now.
Ridiculous death. Yet as he stood on the tower,
Shaking, shaking his robe,
He mimed what each man must in private try,
Poised on the parapet of darkness -
Each in that crowd, and you, reader, and I.
Anne Barbara Ridler's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Free Fall by Anne Barbara Ridler )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Mark Strand
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Northern Lights, Angela Wybrow
- Beyond Internal Horizons, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Beautiful Days, Michael P. McParland
- Beautiful, Michael P. McParland
- Back To Bed, Michael P. McParland
- Awake, Michael P. McParland
- As Long As You, Michael P. McParland
- Are You There 2?, Michael P. McParland
- Are You There?, Michael P. McParland
- About Love, Sandra Feldman